GMIS International is dedicated to serving public sector
information technology professionals who seek to enhance and promote the
strategic investment in and professional management of governmental technology
resources by identifying, developing and advancing technology initiatives,
strategies, and policies to serve the public good. To further these objectives,
this code of ethics is set forth to enhance the performance of all GMIS
I. Personal Standards
GMIS International Members shall demonstrate and be dedicated to the highest
standards of honor and integrity in all public and personal relationships in
order to ensure the respect, trust and confidence of public officials, public
employees, and citizens.
II. Responsibility as Public Officials
GMIS International Members shall recognize and be accountable for their
responsibilities as officials in the public sector.
- They shall be sensitive and responsive to the rights of the public and its changing needs.
- They shall strive to provide the highest quality of performance.
- They shall uphold all legislation and regulations governing their actions and report violations of the law to the appropriate authorities.
GMIS International Members shall promote excellence in public service and shall
be responsible for maintaining their own professional competence, for enhancing
the competence and skills of their peers, and for providing encouragement and
advice to those seeking to enter the field of public sector technology. In
addition, they shall abide by approved professional practices and recommended
IV. Professional Integrity-Information
GMIS International Members shall demonstrate professional integrity in the
issuance and management of information.
They shall respect and protect privileged and
confidential information to which they have access by virtue of their office.
- They shall be sensitive and responsive to
inquiries from the public and the media, within the framework of state or local
V. Professinal Integrity-Relationships
GMIS International Members shall act with honor, integrity and virtue in all
- They shall exhibit loyalty and trust in the affairs and interests of the government they serve.
- They shall not knowingly be a party to or condone any illegal or improper activity.
- They shall respect the rights, responsibilities and integrity of their colleagues and other public officials with whom they work and associate.
- They shall promote equal employment
opportunities, and in doing so, oppose any discrimination, harassment or other
VI. Conflict of
GMIS International Members shall actively avoid the appearance of or the fact
of conflicting interests.
They shall perform the duties of their office
without favor and shall refrain from engaging in any outside matters of
financial or personal interest incompatible with the impartial and objective
performance of their duties.
- They shall not, directly or indirectly, seek or
accept personal gain which would influence, or appear to influence, the conduct
of their official duties.
- They shall not use public property or resources
for personal or political gain.